This browser isn't supported, please upgrade your browser to the latest version.
Theatre Calgary’s new, annual Page to Stage New Works Festival will provide resources for writers to have their work developed towards a next step opportunity at Theatre Calgary. The next step opportunity could be an additional reading, a more focused workshop, an exploratory workshop production, or an actual production.
As Southern Alberta’s largest, professional theatre company, Theatre Calgary is committed to amplifying and developing voices and stories that reflect the vast and ever-changing landscape of Albertan identity. Our company is dedicated to nurturing brand-new works, ensuring that these new works, new voices, and new stories are given a platform to be seen, heard, and discovered.
Each year, our Page to Stage New Works Festival will highlight a different theme. In this, our inaugural year, Theatre Calgary is reaching out to Southern Alberta based writers, who explore the landscape and expression of queer identity (LGBTQ2S+). This is an opportunity for Theatre Calgary to provide high visibility, and focused attention to the continued development of Alberta’s queer theatre canon.
Three (3) selected works will receive dramaturgy, and workshopping, which will culminate in one, online public reading within the festival. One (1) of the selected works will receive further development that will lead to a next step opportunity (as listed above). The eventual goal for this work is a full production, produced by Theatre Calgary in a future season.
Submissions are open to all writers who identify as LGBTQ2s+, regardless of age or playwriting experience, prioritizing Southern Alberta. Compelling stories come in all forms and expressions, so if you have an unproduced play, are currently working on a new piece, or have an idea for an exciting story that reflects a queer experience, we want to hear from you!
The deadline for entry was 5:00pm (MST) on Friday February 5, 2021.
RULES AND ELIGIBILITY:
• The festival is open to permanent residents of Canada, prioritizing those who live in Southern Alberta.
• The script must be original. Adaptations of other works will not be accepted — except for works that are in the public domain, or adaptations of works to which the author holds sole copyright.
• Scripts that have been entered in other playwriting competitions, or that have been through previous workshops or public readings are eligible.
• Any scripts or works that have been professionally produced at a theatre are not eligible.
• Chosen writers agree to allow Theatre Calgary to use their names, and play titles in promotional, marketing and communication materials.
In this, our inaugural year of our Page to Stage New Works Festival, Theatre Calgary is reaching out to Southern Alberta based writers, who explore the landscape and expression of queer identity (LGBTQ2S+). This is an opportunity for Theatre Calgary to provide high visibility, and focused attention to the continued development of Alberta’s queer theatre canon.