This browser isn't supported, please upgrade your browser to the latest version.
THEATRE CALGARY Safety and Comfort Protocols
At Theatre Calgary, we recognize our responsibility to have practical guidelines in place to ensure our performances are safe and enjoyable for everyone. Theatre Calgary will, at minimum, adhere to all the applicable government regulations in place at the time. As circumstances evolve, our protocols will be subject to amendments throughout the season. Please check back regularly to this page for any updates.
Please respect the space and comfort of those around you so everyone can enjoy the performances.
NEW effective September 20, 2021
MANDATORY VACCINATION/PROOF of NEGATIVE TEST
All patrons over the age of 12 years will be required to either show proof of being FULLY vaccinated or proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a sample taken within 72 hours prior to attending a Theatre Calgary performance. In addition to providing the required vaccination or testing documentation, each patron 18 years and older will be required to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, passport or provincial ID card, to verify their identity. This mandate is not negotiable and no exceptions will be made.
Full details on this mandate can be found at the bottom of this page.
Please plan your arrival to minimize time spent in the lobby but with enough time to ensure you can be seated in adequate time for the performance. Theatre doors generally open thirty minutes before a performance begins.
Please respect physical distancing in the lobby and follow any signage or direction from our staff. In the theatre we will be limiting capacity with as much alternate seat and row availability as possible to create space between you and the other patrons. All patrons are required to sit in their reserved seat for the duration of the performance and not sit in any empty seats or rows.
If you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have come in close contact with someone who has tested positive we ask that you stay home and not come to the theatre. If you are experiencing any symptoms such as fever, cough, sore throat or trouble breathing, we also ask that you stay home. Tickets can be exchanged or refunded by calling our box office at 403-294-7447 or through your online Theatre Calgary account.
Theatre Calgary provides the option for you to present your ticket on your phone or print it at home. If you need to go to the box office, please respect any physical distance and barrier requirements.
All patrons are required to wear appropriate masks that cover the nose, mouth and chin at all times when in the theatre. This includes all indoor spaces such as the lobby and other common areas as well as in theatre seating. Masks can be lowered briefly to consume food or beverages. However food and beverages will not be allowed in the theatre itself.
The City of Calgary bylaw defines a face covering as one that inclusively covers the mouth, nose and chin, ensuring a barrier that limits the transmission of infectious respiratory droplets, aligning with CDC recommendations. A face shield only meets the definition of a face covering if it fully covers the mouth, nose and chin. Face shields that do not fully wrap around the face and chin do not qualify as they are not effective in limiting the spread of infectious respiratory droplets.
Helpful information on selecting a mask
How a mask protects you and fellow patrons
Theatre Calgary and Arts Common use newly installed MERV-14A HVAC filters and a UVGI air filtration system. Fresh air is brought into the building three times per hour. The UV Irradiation System treats the recirculated air before it is mixed with the fresh air three times per hour killing 99.9% of airborne bacteria and viruses.
Theatre Calgary and Arts Common will continue enhanced cleaning practices for the theatre, lobby, rest rooms and other common areas.
You will notice more signage in the theatre designed to help you navigate our new Safety and Comfort protocols. Please follow the direction of the signs and of our ushers and staff.
When the performance is finished, we ask that you exit the theatre in a safe and patient manner, allowing for appropriate physical distancing. If you require more time to depart, we ask that you stay in your seats until everyone has left the theatre. Our ushers will be happy to assist you if required.
MANDATORY VACCINATION/PROOF of NEGATIVE TEST
Theatre Calgary will be implementing the Restrictions Exemption Program
outlined by the Alberta Government with the following protocols.
- All Theatre Calgary patrons over the age of 12 years must provide proof of being fully vaccinated to attend a performance.
- For those over the age of 12 years who cannot be vaccinated, proof of a negative COVID-19 test must be presented to attend a performance.
- Each patron 18 years and older will be also required to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, passport or provincial ID card, to verify their identity.
- There are no exceptions to this policy. Should a patron arrive at the theater without the required documentation, they will be denied entry and directed to the box office to arrange a ticket exchange for another performance.
- Providing the required proof for one performance does not provide a pass for another performance. Each time a patron attends a performance, the required documentation must be presented. Documentation cannot be provided or stored in advance of a performance.
- Patrons are considered FULLY vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second dose of a two-dose vaccine series. A single dose of a two-dose vaccine series is not considered fully vaccinated for this policy and would therefore require fulfillment of the negative COVID-19 test protocols as outlined below.
For a single-dose vaccine, patrons are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after having received their single dose.
- Vaccines currently approved by Health Canada and therefore valid for this policy include
- Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT 162b2)
- Moderna (mRNA-1273)
- AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)
- Single Two-dose vaccine: Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)
- Proof of vaccination can include a paper or electronic copy of the documentation of vaccination distributed at the time of vaccination that clearly identifies the name of the recipient and matches the government-issued photo identification.
- Immunization records on apps such as myhealth.alberta.ca/myhealthrecords or any other official provincial, territorial, or federal apps will also be accepted as proof of vaccination and must be accompanied by government-issued photo identification.
NEGATIVE COVID-19 TEST PROOF
- For patrons who are not vaccinated, test documentation indicating a negative test result for COVID-19 from a sample taken no more than 72 hours prior to the performance date must be presented along with government-issued photo identification matching the name on the negative test.
- Photographs, PDF’s or hard copies of negative test documentation are allowable provided the date the sample was taken and the patron’s name are clearly visible and matches the government-issued photo identification.
- The COVID-19 test must be conducted by a third party other than AHS or Alberta Precision Laboratories. Self-administered tests will not be accepted. The two acceptable forms of tests are 1) nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) which includes PCR tests, and 2) antigen tests (including rapid antigen tests). Antibody or serology tests are not acceptable.
- For patrons with a medical exemption for vaccination, a negative COVID-19 test per the above parameters will be required.
CHILDREN UNDER 12 YEARS OF AGE
- At this time, children under the age of 12 for whom there is no currently available vaccine, will not be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test. When a vaccine is approved for this age group, this policy will be updated.
- However, children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult who meets the aforementioned requirements of this policy.
- Theatre Calgary will not store, scan or share any information presented as part of this process.
- Any questions or concerns, please call Theatre Calgary’s main number at (403) 294-7440.
REMINDERS BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT THE THEATRE
- Bring an appropriate mask that will cover your nose, mouth and chin.
- Bring government-issued photo identification such driver’s license, passport or provincial ID card, to verify your identify (for those 18 years and older).
- Bring approved documentation indicating you are fully vaccinated or have received a negative COVID-19 test per the parameters listed above.
Please help everyone enjoy their theatre experience. We appreciate your cooperation.